Your Question: Dear Dr. Diana,
I was wondering how I can improve the texture and look of my skin?
Happy thoughts, healthy foods, physical activity and good sleep will all contribute to your skin health.
The skin is our largest organ, which absborbs substances, expels toxins and preserves the body’s water and temperature balance.
Feed your skin right from inside-out. Be mindful of what you’re applying on your skin as well.
Below is a short list of foods and drinks that promote a healthy skin glow. Enjoy eating these foods, and your emotions and your body will work in harmony.
• Avocado – is my favourite fruit-vegetable-nut; it has antiaging benefits and is also promoting cardiovascular health and neurological youthfulness
• Flax seed oil – source of essential fatty acids (EFAs) such as Omega-3 and Omega-6
• Fruits such as apricots and cantaloupes, and the root vegetables carrots, have healing benefits for dry skin; they give vitamins A and C, both important for supple and smooth skin.
• Leafy green vegetables, Kefir, nutritional yeast and wheat germ are your food sources of pantothenic acid, necessary for the synthesis of fats and oils used by the skin.
• Nuts and Seeds – pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, almond, brazil, cashew, hazelnut, walnut
• Water and natural fruit juices.
Always remember the importance of eating live, natural and good quality food, and drinking pure water.
• Avoid antinutrients like sugar, transfatty acids, phosphates, and pesticide treated foods, since these items deplete your body of EFA’s and anti-oxidant nutrients, and create many imbalances that can make you feel and look unhappy.
• Replace coffee with herbal tea
• Consider a whole body cleansing, followed by a liver cleansing
• Meditation or yoga for relaxation
• Exercise for a toned body and mind
• Get enough sleep, and avoid alcohol and nicotine
Flora Zorn, R.H.N.
Registered Holistic Nutritionist